Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I change a light bulb and now my car turns on but it wont change gears.. why?

when I changed the light bulb I saw sparks come out then I noticed some of the lights from the dashboard would not come on, i realized that I might have blown a fuse or something like it, but when I turn the car on, it won't change gears from park. Oh! I have a 2006 nissan Altima.I change a light bulb and now my car turns on but it wont change gears.. why?Sounds like a shorted wire blew a fuse. I think the Altima transmission has an electrically operated shift solenoid. If that circuit is not working, because of a blown fuse, it won't shift.



If you have a shorted wire, replacing the fuse won't solve anything...the fuse will just blow again. You're mechanic should be able to trace the short.I change a light bulb and now my car turns on but it wont change gears.. why?Don't worry it happens. What might have happened is you fried something. What that something is, I don't know. If I had an electrical diagram of your car I might be able to see what blew and what it effects. You say you cannot change gears? There is a neutralsafety switch that prevents the car from being put into any other gear other than park UNLESS the brake pedal is depressed. It sometimes is called a PRNDL switch, but its the same thing. So make sure your stepping on the brake pedal. If that's doesn't seem to be working, mention that to the mechanic because I am thinking that the PRNDL circuit is or maybe or somehow connected to the repair you made. Maybe blown the fuse or fried the relay (basically a switch that controls alot of things). Ok that's about as much as I can think of, just remember the mechanic is the doctor for your car, and if you don't tell them everything, then they cant do their job correctly.